Letter from the Chief Inspector of General Practice
We carried out an announced comprehensive inspection at Todmorden Group Practice on 1 March 2016. Overall the practice is rated as GOOD. However, we rated the practice as requiring improvement for providing well led services.
Our key findings across all the areas we inspected were as follows:
- There was an open and transparent approach to safety and an effective system in place for reporting and recording significant events.
- Risks to patients were assessed and well managed.
- Staff assessed patients’ needs and delivered care in line with current evidence based guidance. Staff had the skills, knowledge and experience to deliver effective care and treatment.
- Patients said they were treated with compassion, dignity and respect and they were involved in their care and decisions about their treatment.
- Information about services and how to complain was available and easy to understand.
- Patients told us that access to appointments had recently improved. Telephone consultations and same day appointments were available.
- The practice had very good facilities and was well equipped to treat patients and meet their needs.
- The leadership structure was in a period of transition. Some staff expressed they did not always feel fully supported by GP partners and management. New systems were being developed to improve communication and feedback between the different staff groups
- The practice proactively sought feedback from patients and acted upon this feedback.
- The provider was aware of and complied with the requirements of the Duty of Candour.
The areas where the provider should make improvements are:
- Ensure the practice has a clear direction and set of priorities.
- Ensure that there is a clear leadership structure
- Include health assessments in recruitment processes for new staff.
Please click on the link below for the full CQC report.
Todmorden CQC Report - Match 2016